Saturday, September 1, 2007

Broken bone won't stop Grabham push for Safari win

Moto leader Ben Grabham will go into tomorrow's final stage of Australian Safari carrying a broken collarbone that he sustained early on Friday's leg between Kalgoorlie and York.

The 26-year-old Honda CRF 450X rider had an off on Ryans Find, the 33km second stage of the day, and broke his left 'wing', finishing equal sixth on that stage, but scarcely missing a beat for the remainder of the day.

Despite the unscheduled exit, the Bathurst rider went on to demonstrate that the injury should be no major impediment to his hopes of winning the moto crown in his Safari debut, taking out the remaining Jaurdi and Clarkson Flat stages to end the day nine minutes and 16 seconds clear of the field.

“About 4ks from the finish I tried to dodge a furry critter in the dust and collected a stump along the way," he said.

"It doesn’t really hurt, I expected it to hurt a lot more."

“It was popping around a bit, but it’s not going to stop me tomorrow. I’ve got another good collarbone."


Grabham’s GHR Honda team has its own medico on board, who has wrapped the shoulder tight under his red racing uniform.

“I will do anything I can," he said.

“I sure do have a chance (to win this year’s Safari)."

"I have a lot of minutes up. It's what I was hoping for.”

Nearest challenger Jacob Smith thinks the injury will slow the race leader down, but won't stop him pressing on for the title on the final day.

“It will slow him down for sure," Smith said.

"But I don’t think a broken bone will stop him making it to the finish line. I would ride it with a broken leg."

“We’ll see. Anything is possible on our last day.”


Source:
http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchives/2007/August/safari_day8.htm

No comments: