Sunday, August 26, 2007

Trip day trip for Wendy

TRIP day came to a painful conclusion for one Driffield tripper who took a tumble and dislocated her elbow.

Trip Day veteran Wendy Addy, 66, was enjoying the day out at the seaside until she tripped and sustained the painful injury which has left her with severe bruising and three stitches in her left thumb.

She had been visiting Bridlington with the Trip Day entourage last Wednesday, as she has done for the past 40 years, but ended up in hospital with a dislocated elbow.

She said: “I was walking with my family when the next moment I was down on the road.

“The pain was terrific and we had to wait for an age for an ambulance because it had to travel from Hornsea.

“I felt so faint and sick. I’ve never broken any other bone in my body. I’ve been telling people that I went on Trip Day and had a trip.”

Mrs Addy’s fall came just minutes after a bird made an unwelcome deposit on her back which many people would consider to be good luck.

She had been walking near Bridlington Spa with her husband, Philip, daughter, Denise, and three granddaughters when she said she tripped over the pavement where part of the kerb was missing.

The ambulance first took her to Bridlington Hospital but when they were unable to treat her she was transferred to Scarborough Hospital where she was put under a general anaesthetic while her arm was put back in place.

Her right arm has been put in a sling but she must return to hospital in around three weeks time to discover the full extent of her injuries - she may have also sustained a broken arm or a torn ligament.

Mrs Addy, who lives on Wansford Road, suffers from lymphoedema, a chronic swelling of the lymph nodes, in her right arm and because her left arm is strapped up she is unable to do anything for herself.

She was planning to bake a birthday cake for her granddaughter, Olivia, who will be three on September 3, but at the moment she struggles to wash and dress herself.

She said: “I can’t do anything. My family have to help me get dressed.

“We had a lovely time on Trip Day up until that happened but it hasn’t put me off. I’ll be returning next year with my youngest granddaughter.”


Mrs Addy wrote a letter of complaint to East Riding of Yorkshire Council about the pavement in Bridlington and has been informed the broken section of the kerb has been repaired.

A spokesperson from the ERYC said: “We have received a complaint from this lady.

“We are sorry to hear about her injuries and hope she is recovering well.

“Since she brought this to our attention we have carried out repairs to ensure the area is safe.”

Source: http://www.driffieldtoday.co.uk/news/Trip-day-trip-for-Wendy.3142622.jp

No comments: