Friday, November 30, 2007

Scheer broke leg playing volleyball

Her soccer-playing days are over, but that doesn't mean Elena Scheer can't participate in other sports.

Scheer, a junior at Pescadero High School, tried out for the volleyball team this year. Playing in just her third year of volleyball, she worked her way toward being in the first rotation.

She was out there, playing hard and having fun. Then it happened again.

Going up for the ball, she twisted her body, preventing her from hitting the net. She landed awkwardly on her foot.

"At first, I thought everyone was mad at me because I gave the other team a point," Scheer said.
"But then, I saw how swollen up my foot had gotten. I thought, not again."

She broke a bone in her leg, and had to miss the rest of the volleyball season.

"It was obvious that she had a broken bone," said volleyball coach Wayne Johnson.
"Her leg swelled up almost instantly."

She now once again has to wait for the doctors to clear her to play non-contact sports. A freak soccer accident has barred her from playing any contact sports.

During the summer, when she wasn't catching up on schoolwork, she was either running or swimming. She couldn't wait to get cleared for volleyball.

"I love being on the court or on the field," Scheer said.
"I was so excited to be on the court."

She doesn't feel cursed despite the injuries.

"Stuff happens," Scheer said.

Source: http://www.hmbreview.com/articles/2007/11/30/community/sports/story02.txt

No comments: